Sorry about the slacking off on the postings, but you people are so demanding! You think it's so easy to write down a bunch of stuff that happened and push the "Publish Post" button? You're like a pack of hungry wild dogs - always wanting more, never satisfied with the postings you have. For shame. (You didn't buy that by any chance, did you? For real though, I was just lazy)
We are slowly but surely getting unpacked into our new house. The contractor is out this week so there is no way we will be getting our new cabinets in time for Abba and Pat's visit. We'll have to find some other place to stash all our kitchen stuff in the meantime. In other news, Julie and Josh are thinking about visiting us over winter break. We're very excited. You could all follow their lead! And see the beautiful Pacific Northwest! There are all kinds of awesome nature-ey things to do out here (or so we're told. We haven't actually done them yet).
Work is going well. I am now hooked on Starbucks coffee. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to normal coffee again - I'm so spoiled. I bet you're all wondering about the post title... On my way to work the other day, near campus we spotted a car with the license plate "SATAN." Understandably intrigued, we went for a closer look, and sure enough there was a microsoft parking pass on that black car with dark tinted windows. Did anyone doubt that the one person in the state of Washington with the license plate SATAN worked at Microsoft? I bet there's one at Apple too (no offense Abba)... Anyway, can anyone guess the gender of the driver? Of course, it was a woman. I knew it all along! She turned on the street that leads to the parking garage of my building and a few others. Who knows, she might even work right near me. Creepy.
Speaking of cool new kosher products we found, at Costco here they have corn bread mix. It's milchig of course, but we had to buy it. Maybe this isn't really all that novel, but I had never seen anything like it that was kosher. Anyway, we (I!) made it the other night and it was actually quite good, I thought. Rachel said it wasn't so great, but I guess I never had real corn bread before (at least since camp moshava) so it tasted good to me. It was really easy - just add water and bake. So that is the news here. I know you hungry savage dogs, errr, guys all want to see some pictures, so I will post some later. When I feel like it. Maybe.
Ari
Monday, October 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
Us demanding? You go 3,000 miles away, and all we ask is a few minutes of your time...and PICTURES.
Anyway, on the East Coast... I gave Carefirst Tanya and Brian as references. Brian works in rented space in our office, but he has his own phone line. I gave them Tanya's cell phone number. She also has space in our office, but she does not have a separate phone line, and she is rarely in the office. Somehow they got our office phone number, and they called. Miriam answered, and they told her they needed to speak to Tanya about Miriam Jacoby. She didn't quite get it, so she gave me the phone call. I don't know whether she suspected anything or not. It was a little uncomfortable. They asked Brian how I handle stress. He said "you want to see stress, come by our office" I haven't spoken to Tanya yet, so I don't know if she called them back yet. Anyway, this should be the last hurdle. I do not know how many candidates made it to this point, but I assume that I will hear one way or another this week or next.
Last night was the yahrzeit siyum for Mrs. Lopin. It was a smaller gathering this year because they are all in aveilus. It is hard to believe it has been 7 years. There were less speaches than usual, it was actually very nice.
I am swamped with work, and I have to practice saying, I am not taking any new orders until I catch up with what I have sitting here. I have also been lazy, and busy, with yom tov and all. I am very very behind. (But I still found the time to post!)
MOM
Yes,we are planning to visit!! Winter break officially begins Friday, December 29 and ends Sunday, January 14. I'm not sure what dates we'll be there- I have to look at the flights and figure out the best deal.
I'm currently having some trouble printing out a photo that I found on the internet of a head of broccoli. It's coming out very "bitmappy" (I don't know the correct term) and I need it to look clearer for my silkscreen prints!!! It's saved as a jpeg, but I guess the resolution was too low?
Oh and Ari, tell Rachel to make the cornbread that I included in her cookbook. It's the best cornbread in the world. She'll agree.
Miss you all. We'll keep you posted about winter break!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life is pretty busy but all in all the same. Glad to hear that RB is progressing nicely and that you moved into your house.
The post on your aunt was quite moving, and I'm sorry it happened, Baruch Dayan Haemes.
Anyway, Missing you tons!
Diana B.
Julie - most pics on the internet will be pretty low resolution, not suitable for printing. You probably want something that's at least 640x480 if you want it to look decent when you print it, and higher is better. Google images shows you the resolution on the results page with the thumbnails. I did a quick search for "broccoli" and saw several high resolution pics you could probably use.
Am I the only one wondering why Julie is silkscreening broccoli?
You probably wouldn't be if I knew what "silkscreening" meant
I originally wanted to do something very complicated for my first silkscreen print in printmaking class, but since this will be my first time silkscreening, I decided to go with a more simple print. I think I'm going to do a broccoli cherry tree- by transferring the broccoli to the screen with photo emulsion and then creating a frisket stencil for the cherries.
I think a broccoli cherry tree could be very visually intriguing, yes?
(Keren, I guess Rachel and Ari aren't surprised and just don't ask anymore.)
frisket!!!!!
It makes me think of cats.
Hello everyone...
Well last week was exciting because i made an apple pie, no not Mom's..only mom can make that good of a pie so I figured I wouldn't even compete. Tonight I worked on writing up a horribly dorky/hokey/cheesy rhyming invitation for Rachel Wiz's shower. Who decided this is what to do for a shower? Anyway so hopefully those will go out at some point when I feel like printing 'em up. (Julie, you will get to see firsthand how hokey the rhyme is when you get the invitation!) Well tonight I took the bus home which stank, however much less than normal (much less stinky in the evening due to the lower temperatures) Also there were no children at night which is also good (I do not have anything against children, however I do have something against children who kick/shove/eat chicken wings right on top of you - and yes, you aren't SUPPOSED to eat on the bus. Everyone at our Hebrew school seems to be quiting...I want to quit and go to a more normal place...but I am too much of a sucker...that's all for now. We are gonna have company again for shabbos, the french people and another couple... should be fun. Must go to DSW this week and get some everyday boots (I threw mine away this week in a cleaning frenzy, but in my defense, they were 7 years old...wow if I had calculated that out last year they would have already been in the trash...). Julie- good luck with your broccoli tree, sounds cool... I told dovid he should make us some art but he seems to be busy recreating his personal statement that somehow got "reformatted" along with his hard drive. Later peeps (sheesh...see how much can build up over a few days of no posts?)
Frisket??!!! Who wants to explain to Julie about Frisket? It's not going to be me! (only because I have a Pilates class coming to my house in 10 minutes so I really don't have time to post now)
ok I think the discussion must move on to "WHAT?! Keren is in a pilattes class?!?" Keren we are very proud of how trendy you have become. kudos
Mom - Joan VanderWalde says hi (she is in the class too)
And I don't do Pilates because it's trendy - I do it because it's the best place to find out who has a good electrician and to make fun of our husbands :) (it's a good thing Ira doesn't read this blog - no one tell him, okay?)
courtesy of merriam-webster.com
How do you get to have a pilates class at home? I want that!
Main Entry: fris·ket
Pronunciation: 'fris-k&t
Function: noun
Etymology: French frisquette, from Middle French
: a masking device or material used especially in printing or graphic arts
Connie
Thanks Aunt Connie. :)
The class is taught on a rotating basis by two women in the community, and it is usually not at my home, but it is held at the homes of the participants. Right now the woman who usually hosts Tuesday night classes is redoing her basement bathroom, so her basement is temporarily unavailable. I have had a couple in our house and I have to say, especially with the weather getting colder, it is quite convenient - don't even have to put on shoes!
As for frisket, since no one else seems to want to embarass me by telling the story, I will volunteer it. A number of years ago, we were playing Scrabble, and we used to allow each other free use of the dictionary at any point (theoretically, to confirm a spelling). However, I would occasionally (ahem!) take liberties and use the dictionary to see whether a word I had conjured that seemed kind of like it could be a real word, was in fact a real word. Therefore, one day, when I was the first player on the board, I took a very long time to come up with my word (which I usually never do!), and it occurred to me that frisket kind of looked like it could be a legit word (after all, it sounds just like brisket, which clearly is a real word), so I looked it up, and lo and behold, it is a word (and apparently , as we now know, it is a word that some people use in normal blogging conversation)! Since I used all 7 of my letters, and had the center double word score (I think that's what it was), it was quite a windfall of points, and the incident raised the ire of many a member of our family. If I am not incorrect, I think that incident may have put a stop to our liberal dictionary-using practices. I have been teased mercilessly over the years about this incident - it is a rare game playing night when it does not come up. (In fact, Abba, you probably don't remember, butyou referenced "frisket" in our wedding video when the mike was going around the table)
So there you have it. Julie, now you know why that word provoked such a strong response from the Polsky family.
(and now I really have to get back to work).
Nope. It was definitely the first word of the game (otherwise, I would not have used all 7 of my letters since I would have had to connect it to another word - I didn't have to connect it to anything because it was the first word). However, it allowed me to start off the game with a very large lead (assuming we even continued with the game after that - the rest of the game is a blur)
seems like now is about the time for dov to chime in with a remark on revisionist history?
I don't think Dov is still reading. (remember this? "too many comments, people - start you own blog!")
right right how could I forget.
good point
And the point was? Hi guys, have a good shabbas.
omg
still laughing at abbas horrible joke!
reminds me of "swanicidence"
I did! Luckily you came to our defense! Thanks Ab
Post a Comment