So here is a picture for you all- RB is progressing nicely. I saw my doc this morning for a checkup. It was about 5 min long- and since I was the first one there, I did not wait at all. I walked straight in. The doctor said that everything is normal bli ayin hara. I have been so busy lately that I do not even remember I am pregnant unless I get really hard kicks.I got another job teaching the preschool at the new Torah Day School in Seattle. They called me to sub last week and apparently, they liked me so much they offered me a job on the spot.
The preschool program here is Montessori. It is very different from the traditional classroom. Instead of assignments and everyone doing the same thing at once- the class is broken up into workstations - usually about 5-10 a day and the kids are free to pick a workstation and spend however long they like completing the task. There is usually a theme for the day- here, it is an English letter and the workstations are built around that. So for instance, this week they are learning the letter "L" so we had a workstation where they could color "L"s, another one for coloring leaves, another one for making leaf prints, and another one with leaf puzzles.
Along with those workstations are skills workstations to help develop motor skills and practical skills- so we have a station where they sort out plastic bears by color, and another one where they practice sweeping, pouring, sewing etc. Along with the workstations, the Montessori classroom also has a wide range of ages. My class goes from 2.5-4.5 years- and you can see the difference in the skill levels. The point is that the older ones can help the younger ones and there is always something for everyone no matter what level he/she is on.
I am one of two teachers for the class. The other teacher, Miss Lee Ellen is a Montessori trained teacher from Billings, Montana. She is in charge of the secular studies and I am in charge of Judaics. So far, I have been sticking to the traditional teaching but as I am planning my week, I am trying to adapt it to the Montessori way. It is easier to teach my class that way so that the younger ones do not hold back the older ones and I can give more one on one time to each student. I have 13 kids and they are all adorable. Most of them dress like Gap Kids models and they are all clean and neat. A few are still in diapers but thank G-d I have not had to change one yet. Miss Lee Ellen has been having rachmanus on me and she changes them but I suppose that will end soon.
So now, I have two jobs- I start work at nine and work straight through til six. I am exhausted when I come home from running around the kids but the commute is great. Both jobs are a mere 5 minutes away. I am really happy and the staff is very friendly so it seems this is a pretty good deal.
Have a good night!
28 comments:
Wow! Congrats on the new job. It sound like you are increcibly busy. The teaching job sounds like there would be a lot of preparation. When do you have time to do it all? How many hours do you teach? How many kids are in the class? I hope Ari is doing his share of the housework, cleaning, shopping cooking etc.
Thanks for the picture. Looks like RB is progressing nicely. Love to see some pictures of the house.
How has the weather been there? Here it is starting to get pretty cold in the morning. By afternoon it is usually in the 60's.
I've been really busy catching up on all the orders I didn't have time to do over yom tov. Keren and Ira invited me to come to Silver Spring this shabbos, but I was just too tired to go.
Still no word from Carefirst. They just did the referral check this week, so, I will probably hear next week. Needless to say, watch this spot for further updates.
Have a good shabbos all.
MOM
BIG NEWS!
I just got an email forwarded from Yitzi.
DUNCAN HINES IS GOING BACK TO PARVE
That made my day. Hope it made yours as well. Watch for the new boxes marked parve. They should be in the stores soon.
MOM
Hi Rachel and Ari,
I've never been on a blog before, but I saw "Mom" on yom tov at Yeshurun and she told me about your fabulous blog. Having been lucky enough to have been on Rachel's email list when she was in Israel, I knew I could count on hearing all about how you are and a great read! All the Kahns are so happy for you both - the great opportunity at Microsoft, your move, and of course little RB. (Not to be ignorant, but what does RB stand for?)
Rachel, you look beautiful and I hope you're feeling well. Your teaching position sounds very interesting, hope you continue to enjoy the kids.
Things are good here. Sammy, in Israel for Shana Bet, spent a day with the Nankins (J & J) over Sukkos which he really enjoyed...and we had a meal at the Sweet's with your Dad and Wendy.
Well, it's erev Shabbos and I need to get back to my pots. I look forward to visiting your blog and keeping in touch.
Love,
Amy
P.S. from Margo - thanks for help with the history homework via Leah - Margo was on the other end of the call the other day.
looking great RB! you too rach
anywho sounds like you are beyond busy over there...
we are having the french people over for dinner tonight, should be fun. have a great shabbos everyone:-)
fall back!!! whooohooo! this is awesome!
P.S. I can't find any flat boots for everyday, has anyone seen anything flat and not too expensive...looked at DSW..getting too cold to walk the miles from the car to class...arg
good vuch
Hi Cham;
Any plans to come up to Baltimore soon? We miss you. Several shoe stores here-Rack Room Shoes, Norstrom Rack, Value City, Marshalls...You might even get a dinner out of the deal.
Talk to you soon.
MOM
Of couse Aunt Bonnie is the last to find out about this blog and what do you think...first time I go on there is a beautiful picture of Rachel...Belly and all ...wow what a treat. I still have to go down and read the archives to catch up on the Polskys but I am grateful to my niece Leah for clueing me in. I hear we are going to have you guys as visitors for Thanksgiving. Can't wait to see you and feel your tummy. All my love Aunt B
So with all your comment solicitations, are you keeping track of whose posts generate more comments? I notice Ari's Satan post generated a lot more comments than Rachel's RB/new job post. In fairness, though, a good deal of the Satan comment traffic had nothing to do with Ari and a lot to do with the random use of "frisket." Just thought I could inspire some friendly competition :)
In other news, I was on the phone with my in-laws the other day and Sarah asked who I was on the phone with. I told her Bubby CJ and Zaide. She said, "Both of them?" I said, "Yes." She said, "How do they both fit?"
In Joseph news, Joseph's girlfriend's parents are coming down the Saturday night of Veterans' Day (two weekends from now) to meet the prospective future in-laws. The betting has started on an engagement date (bli ayin hora). I tried to wrangle some insider information from Joseph the other day, but he wouldn't budge.
Avigayil can now give "five," clap hands on command, pull herself up to standing (which she likes to do by pulling on my skirt when I am trying to walk around), "cruise" (walk while holding on to something, like the edge of the couch or your hands), say "Mama" and "Hi." Sarah said Abba first - which was fine with me because she called for him in the morning when she woke up, so it is bittersweet to hear my name first this time around. Oh yeah, and I caught her "drinking" from the toilet when we forgot to close to door (putting her hands in the water and sucking her finger). Sorry if that last one was too much information. We are trying to be muchh better about the bathroom door.
In shoe news, Chammie inspired me to buy a pair of "practical" boots for the first time since I can remember. Wonder if I'll ever wear them?
Dov - sorry these comments didn't relate to the original post. I guess I should get my own blog or something.
I can't believe we have missed all of these new developments! I mean drinking from the toilet is a big step! we have to come over and see her clap and talk. laughed out loud about sara. my new too expensive boots come in the mail today so we will see if they are worth it...i think dov and i are gonna stop and nordstrom on the way home from school tomorrow and see if I can find anything there for less. Anyway I have an interview for an internship next semester next week, so hopefully i can do that instead of a 5th class next semester. Its basically being a "peer advocate" in the office of victim advocates...looks interesting. if i do it there is 2 weeks training at the end of winter break...
anywho gotta run to school
later
cham
well...the boots are in. and i must say when i put them on a felt like i was walking on feathers...or pillows...or both. and they were so plush. really the best springy comforable sole ever...but i am still gonna go to nordstrom because im sure i can find something less luxurious but just as good(sort of) there
julie did you get the invitation to rachels shower?
well tonight was mostly spent turning our halogen on and off to avoid lady bug related fires. whats the deal with all the lady bugs here? keren, do you remember this from when you lived here too?
Now that you mention it, I think I do recall people complaining about a ladybug problem - I can't quite recall us having it that bad - maybe it has to do with what side of the building you're on?
Glad to hear the boots are comfy. Good luck at Nordstroms!
Post the poem for those of us who aren't invited!!
We're having company this shabbos for the first time in a while (at least, the first time in a while when we don't have Mom or Abba to cook for us!) Anyone have any new, interesting, easy recipes for side dishes/salads/appetizers/desserts? Cham- can we borrow the Arie Crown cookbook? Ari/Rachel - what are you making for Abba and Pat's visit?
I got Sarah a new car seat - Avigayil needed to upgrade to the next size and Sarah got the bright idea that she (Sarah) should get a new one - it would have to be pink, and Avigayil would get Sarah's old car seat. I guess Avi may as well get used to that. So I looked around online and found the model I wanted that comes in a pattern that looked purple and pink with flowers. Only problem was it was out of stock everywhere. I finally found a site that had it and I was so excited!! (this store in Brookline, Mass. called Magic Beans - mbeans.com - very cute website, with very original, cool, and expensive items). The car seat came yesterday - purple and YELLOW with flowers. Can't trust those pictures on the web. Luckily, Sarah was so enamored of the newness and softness that she forgot she asked for a pink one, and is thrilled with it.
Can't wait for all of us to adjust to the time change. Sarah was up at 5:15 this morning. And I have been so tired at night I have fallen asleep on the couch the last two nights- last night still in my clothes/contacts, with the lights on! I still slept like a baby until Sarah woke me up at 5:15, though. The good thing about it is that by getting up so early in the morning, I have had time to make dinner in the morning - so we can have a real dinner instead of throwing on mac 'n cheese at 6:00. Of course, that also means that Sarah asked for spaghetti and meatsauce for breakfast. I happily obliged. Avi had her first obligatory spaghetti-and-meatsauce-face picture taken tonight.
I think that is enough rambling for now. Someone else has to chime in now.
I don't know if this will work, and you'll probably be biased anyway now that I told you the real colors, but take a look at this and tell me it doesn't look purple and PINK!
http://dreamtimebaby.com/boshbybr.html
I guess Sarah takes after me. It takes me about 2 months to adjust to the 1 hour time change. I am really a creature of habit.
No word from Carefirst yet, although I came pretty close to quitting my job today. Bernie is getting pretty hard to take. I really have to make a contingency plan in case I don't get the Carefirst job. I don't know how much longer I can tolerate Bernie, and based on my past history with jobs, I have a really high tolerance level. Just an indication of what a total jerk he is.
I am actually cooking this Shabbos. Yitzi and Devorah are coming Friday night for dinner, so if you get any good ideas, how about sharing them with me. I will probably just do grean beans, roasted potatoes and Israeli salad, chicken, and maybe turkey bottoms. Have to make stuff that the kids will eat.
I've been cooking a lot of 5 minute soup. I get this bag of frozen cut up soup veggies, all cut up in bite size pieces. I put it in water with some beef powder soup base, and a small can of tomato sauce, and a little Italian seasoning. Takes just long enough for the veggies to cook, about 5 minutes. It isn't bad. Low fat, gets me to eat my veggies.
Any bets on whether I make it through the week at work?
I'll keep you posted.
MOM
Okay, for some reason that did not work (on two levels - it didn't create a link - Ari, you'll have to tell me how to do that - and the url doesn't take you directly to the car seat, only to the home page). Also, I can't figure out how to edit my post(if I even can). For anyone who cares, you can type "britax shannon" into the search box on the dreamtimebaby site and you will see the car seat. Now I am really done for the night. . .
Looks purple and pink to me
MOM
me too...looks like they sent you the one that wasn't in the picture...
mom-- this soup idea is fascinating...beats cereal for dinner
we are gonna make the following for shabbos (this may not actually help you)
1.marinated salmon recipe (i think from arie crown cookbook) with therapydoc's famous homemade garlic mayo sauce
2. some type of crumb chicken (dovids domain)
3. cholent (still out of romanian kishke...gonna make my own)
4. tomato basil salad (thanks abba- this will make it 3 weeks in a row)
5. potato kugel, upon the request of dovid
6. regular salad...
7. anyone have an idea for dessert? i can go for 3 in a row with apple pie but it may be time to think fo something else. i was thinking trifle but then remembered i dont have a trifle bowl...
P.S. MOM- quit your job!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARI. All yesterday when they were talking about Halloween, I was remembering how I was in labor on Halloween, and refused to have you until after midnight. Sent you a check in the mail yesterday. I don't know how long it will take to get to you. I know that shows lack of creativity, but, I'll let you in on a little secret, I have a lack of creativity. I still love you though, even though you took your wife and her belly and moved 3,000 miles away. I'll try to call you, even though I am usually sleeping by the time you get home from work. Maybe I'll set the alarm!
Love,
MOM
cham - you are welcome to borrow our trifle bowl (you can come watch Lost tonight too if you are still interested)
Happy Birthday Ari!! Sarah wants to know if we can go to your birthday. Remember when you were a kid and you thought "birthday" and "birthday party" were synonymous? She wants a cupcake. I told her adults didn't always have cupcakes on their birthdays. She wants to know what kind of dessert you are having. I told her I'd ask.
I think I'm going to make baked apples for dessert. When I was in Chicago, Linda made them, and I remembered how you used to really like them. I don't know if they are fancy for company, maybe with a cookie... We'll see if the kids like them.
MOM
HAPPY BDAY POKE! hope you have a great day and a great weekend full of birthday fun.
Keren- we may come over tonight for lost...depends on Dovid, I'll let you know
Ari,
Haapy Birthday!
Yehuda reminded me it was your bithday today since you both have the same one!
Rachel, you look very cute, glad to hear you are happy but busy in your job.
Working with kids is so much fun, the keep you on your toes.
We are still waiting to see pictures of the house!
You guys are totally slacking off with the blog.
Get moving!
Spent some time with Uncle Murray on Sunday, he's doing okay, but lonely. I'm sure he would love to get phone calls from people, passes the day.
His number is 1-718-332-5843
If you call, let the phone ring a while (at least 10 times) since it takes him a little bit to get to and pick up the phone. Otherwise it's frustrating for him to miss calls all the time.
Anyway, keep up the good work
The Teaneck Avners
Just when I was really down...I'm still upset about the run in I had with Bernie yesterday, when he tried to blame me for something he did not do. Nevermind that I reminded him at least a dozen times. Never mind the file was in the pile that he is supposed to go through every day. Never mind that I am constantly reminding him about everything until I am sick and tired of it. His reasoning when I told him that I had reminded him at least a dozen time, you should have made me do it. I wanted to quit on the spot.
Then I talked to someone at Carefirst today, and he said one of his coworkers is also a finalist for this job. I figure an inside person is going to have an advantage over an outside person. Anyway, she has not hear back either. I got home today, still debating whether to give notice (complicated by the fact that Miriam was on the phone today making reservations for both of them to go to Israel in 3 weeks), there was a message on my ansering machine from the human resource person. I can't call her back till tomorrow, so I have all night to worry. I'll keep you posted.
MOM
Happy Birthday Ari!! I hope you had a great day and have a great night. Did Rachel make a special cake for you? Oh, and if you get any good presents, please let me know as it is Josh's birthday on the fourteenth and I just don't know what to get him! Any ideas?
Oh, and while we're all talking about our Shabbos menus, I'll add mine.
I convinced Josh that we should have Yoni and Leah Chana over for a meal, so they are coming Friday night. I'm thinking of making chicken soup, glazed chicken, deli roll (Hey Chammie, Ari told me that Dovid had deli roll with kishke in it! Is this true? Was it good? I'd like to try that!) potato kugel (I just found an excellent recipe in the Kosher Palette and this week will be the third week in a row), apple cranberry crisp, spinach salad (it's ok to eat now, right?) and I think another side, but I'm not sure what it will be. I'd like to try a recipe for glazed lemon cake, but when I asked Josh if he would eat it, he said "uh, how about a yellow cake." So I made that last week, and now I think I'm going to try the lemon.
Rachel, tell me how the apple dumpling pie comes out!
What's this about apple dumpling pie?
If the glazed lemon cake you want to try is the one in the Kosher By Design/ Holidays (I think it is called lemon delight bundt cake) - it is excellent! (and it freezes very well) I love it but Ira doesn't like lemon cake, nor does Dovid, and apparently this is a trend. . . hmm . . .
I think this is what I decided on for our menu:
1. spinach veal roll (in puff pastry) for appetizer,
2. cholent
3. chicken cutlets coated in french fried onion rings
4. carrot/sweet potato mini muffins (this recipe uses baby food and therefore is very easy because you don't have to peel or boil or shred carrots - however, I discovered I only have one jar of carrot and several of sweet potato so I am going to improvise - we'll see how it turns out)
5. tomato basil salad (thanks for the idea Cham)
6. tomato lentil couscous salad
7. bowties and pesto
8. chocolate pudding for dessert
Okay, for their webisode debut, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trv93OJ0tXo
Post a Comment