I've had many requests for this so I'm just going to post it here. This is from my fourth grade teacher- she gave my mom many recipes. I can't say that I liked her very much as a teacher but she had some great recipes.
These require a lot of time for the rising but the actual hands on prep time is not so long. It's best to make these on a day when you'll be home for a big chunk of time.
Here goes:
3.5 c flour
1 t salt
.25 c sugar
Mix together in a bowl and form a well in the center.
Then mix:
1.5 c warm water (not hot)
1 oz yeast (I use 2 T of dry yeast)
1 t sugar
in a separate bowl or cup. Wait until you see it start bubbling then pour it into the well and start mixing.
Add in:
1 egg
.25 c oil
Continue mixing until all the flour is mixed in. Knead for 1-3 minutes until the ball of dough is smooth.
Cover, let rise for 1.5 hours. Punch down, let rise .5 hour.
Roll out on board until 1/2" thick. Use .25 of the dough at a time. Cut circles with inverted cup or jar. Let rise again on a greased cookie sheet for another 30-45 minutes.
Drop into deep fryer (or a frying pan with oil). Fry 2-3 minutes until light brown (the color of cheerios). Turn over and fry 2-3 more minutes. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. You can fill it or frost it with whatever you want. I usually put powdered sugar on top and raspberry jelly inside using a pastry injector (Thanks mom!)
B'Tayavon!
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment