So it turns out that the weather was pretty bad this week- worse than I had expected. There was a snowstorm Monday night here during a football game. Traffic was terrible and there were accidents everywhere. Ari said that some of the people from work took over 5 hours to get home. Tuesday that city practically shut down. I was off from work because one of the roads to get to school was iced over. Normally ice isn't so bad but it's so hilly here that it's dangerous. I had work on Wednesday but public schools were still closed then and there was still ice everywhere. Ari went to work all week but he said it was dead. The cafeterias were closed and there were no secretaries or facilities staff. He came home fairly early on Tuesday and Wednesday. Most people just worked from home. Finally it warmed up to 68 degrees on Thursday and everything melted. The city is back to normal and the storm had moved east. I heard that the Midwest was hammered over the weekend. At least here it's nice and there hasn't been any rain yet.
Other than that, our week has been pretty uneventful. The kid in my class that instigates all the trouble was on vacation so I've had a pretty easy week at school. Two of the kids might also have chicken pox and another kid is out because her brother has them so I might have a small class this week which makes everything easier. Shabbat was nice. We ate out Friday night and I'm finally getting all the politics in the Jewish community here. My cold/cough is almost gone and Ari's thrilled cause now he won't wake up at night when I'm blowing my nose. I've realized that it's worth buying more expensive tissues so your nose doesn't get chapped when you blow. For those of you who are concerned, I'm feeling fine otherwise. Everything seems to be going well and my normal appetite has returned much to Ari's relief. He was afraid that I was getting too expensive due to the quantities of food I was eating.
That's all for now! I want to know how the weekend went and also- Julie and Leah- did you discover Mom's magic freezer???
Sunday, December 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Glad to hear that your cold is better, and the weather is clearing up. I also thought that people here are wimps because they shut down as soon as there is the slightest amount of snow, but there are some hills that are quite steep, and because it rarely gets really cold, the snow usually turns to slush and then ice almost immediately.
My week was amazingly boring. On Tuesday, I literally sat at my desk the entire day and did absolutely nothing. I could not even log on to the computer. Tomorrow I am meeting with the person who had my job last, so I hope I will find out what I am supposed to do. I did log on to the diversity web page, and found out that Moslems have a holiday in December when they celebrate their forefather Abraham (Ibrahim) who was about to sacrifice his beloved son Ishmael on top of a mountain, when an angel stopped him. Instead he saw a ram in the bushes and sacrificed it instead. They celebrate by eating a ram?sheep? something like that. It was really wierd. So far I have not met any other Jewish employees. In an area as heavily Jewish as Baltimore, I seems a little peculiar.
What are the politics in the community there? Don't leave us in suspense.
Have you had the chicken pox? Is there any danger of being exposed to the kids?
We had a good time with Leah, Julie and Josh. We didn't get to spend too much time together, and they really didn't eat much here. I don't think they made it down to the magic freezer, but I did bring a few things up.
Have a great week.
MOM
The following is not on topic, but funny. Sarah told me today that she has a "toy Hashem" (". . . but you can't see the real Hashem"). Any guesses for which toy she designated as toy Hashem? I had a hard time holding in the laughter.
It is none other than "Duff Man." (thanks Dovid)
I think Leah, Josh and I had a great time in Baltimore. Our schedule was really jam packed. First of all, the wedding was really nice. Chaim and Sarah looked very happy. Then on Friday we went to the Scheller's (I think Dr. Scheller is Chaya Dachs's brother) for a beautiful breakfast where we watched AJ play with Menucha Fish and Leah and I held Simcha Fish- only eight weeks old! So cute! Then Dad insisted that we go to the Historical Electronics Museum, where Leah and I fell asleep on the deserted museum floor. Needless to say, Josh and Dad had a ball and would love to spend another day at there. Shabbos was nice... nothing special. We spent some time at Wendy's cousin's house- they have twelve kids- and were quite relieved to walk back to Miriam's quiet cozy house. We also reeeeallly enjoyed the cinnamon buns she left out for us! Thank you! Then there was a sheva bracha on Motzai Shabbos at a pizza shop, where we met some guys that knew our third cousin Dovid Avner. That was exciting. And after bagels on Sunday morning, Josh and I said goodbye to Leah and the 'rents and got a ride with Susan and Gavriel Silverberg back to New York. I would love to tell you more details but I must write a speech evaluation paper and figure out how to register online at the FIT website- which I think is the WORST, MOST CONFUSING website ever!
Well I had a jam packed weekend goint to Rachels shower in NY. THANK YOU everyone who submitted recipes for her cookbook- i think she really liked it. the shower was nice, i think everyone had fun (i actually heard some people say, "this was actually a really fun shower!") so we managed to make it entertaining (what a few cheap prizes can do for a shower...anyway rachel liked it so we were glad. now i have to finish my semester..i have a ton to do, plus a few more applications due before/during finals. Talk to you all later. Mom we have to arrange a sunday to get together about dresses...zivya is going to chicago for winter break so that means she will be gone soon. we'll talk.
Hi Cham;
Glad the shower was fun. I still don't have a really good idea of what Zivya wants for her dress. I can get a muslin done for this Sunday, but I cannot come down to Silver Spring. I am babysitting all day and night because Yitzi and Devorah are going to Cincinnati. If you guys want to come up here, I can fit you. Let me know, because I need to get to work on the dresses.
Talk to you soon,
MOM
Mom-
i sent a bunch of emails about the dresses.
For those who are still watching...
Webisode 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cAeOShC7lY
That is a seriously wierd video.
MOM
I second that. But the soundtrack was strangely catchy...
Rachel dearie I would love to speak to you but i don't know what time I should call you, due to the packed schedule. Anyway, I would hate to be the only sibling not to know what the magic fridge is so when we talk- clue me in.
Hi Shaya;
Sorry to leave you out of everything. How are you doing?
The magic freezer was named by Dovid. It all goes back to the fact that I do not bake cakes. Everything I bake is in pieces, cinnamon rolls, peanut butter brownies, fake twinkies, devil dogs, lemon bars, fake Girl Scout thin mints etc, and they all sit in plastic bins in the basement freezer. Dovid discovered the freezer, and dubbed it magic, and the rest is history. He comes in the door, and disappears, and I know he is in the basement.
Any time you are in Baltimore, you are invited to sample the magic.
Miriam
Miriam,
Do you give out recipes? Everything in that freezer sounds appealing, especially the girl scout thin mints (those are my favorites, i can eat the entire box in one sitting).
I'd love all those recipes, I can use a new repertoire.
thanks
Hope the job gets more interesting.
Rhonda Avner
Post a Comment