Sorry it's been so long since my last post, but I've been getting lazy. Also not that much has been happening here, and Rachel's been doing a commendable job at holding down the blog. I'm almost tempted to ask who your favorite blogger is, but I kind of like being married so I think I will avoid that minefield... See Mom, I've learned a lot since I got married! Just in time for having a kid!
The most exciting recent event was the storm we had that left about 1 million people without power. They said there were winds of 80+ MPH, and there were trees down all over the place. Just a block away from us there was a massive tree that fell that blocked the road and took out 2 utility poles, which I think is why some people around here took 4 days to get their power back. It started Thursday night. Our power went out in the middle of the night. I normally work from home on Friday, so since we had no power I was thinking about going in to work. After some shopping for shabbos I was on my way there when I called their security hotline to find out the status of power on campus (earlier the message said it was open and they were running on generators) and it said there was no power. So I got a free day off, sitting in our dark cold house. I probably would have preferred work to that, but whatever. We ended up eating out Friday night by some people that had a gas oven (most people here including us have electric), so we at least had a hot meal, albeit a dark one. Like every other place, the shul was dark and cold. They got these camping lanterns for Friday night so we could daven. We got our power back on late Friday night, so we were only out for about 24 hours, although we did not have internet access until last night. But others were not so lucky. The shul and the people in that area didn't get their power back on until last night - that's almost 4 days without power! Actually there are still some, a couple people I work with among them, who still don't have power yet. One guy brought his cats in to work today because he thought they were too cold at his house.
In more mundane news, our office "holiday" party was today. It was actually supposed to be Friday so I wasn't planning on going, but because of the power outage they rescheduled it for today. Disappointingly, there was no beer (my team did have a "beer bash" a couple weeks ago- This is definitely the first place I've ever worked where they serve beer at meetings). They had this thing similar to secret santa called white elephant. The way it works is that everyone brings in a wrapped gift, all of which go on one table. Everyone picks a number out of a hat which determines the sequence of the turns. On each person's turn they can either pick one of the unopened presents and unwrap it or steal an already opened present from someone who has already gone. The one from whom a present is stolen then has the same choice - he can either steal from someone else or take one from the pile. The only restriction is that any gift can be stolen a maximum of once per turn - that way every turn eventually ends and the same gift can't keep going back and forth on a single turn. Once everyone has gone, the person who went first has a choice to either keep his gift or steal anyone else's, since he had no choice of stealing when he went the first time. Obviously going first is best. If he steals someone's, the one he had goes on the table again and the person without a gift can take it or steal anyone else's, and so on, until someone takes the gift from the table and the game ends.
Extra credit: In a game of white elephant with n participants and n gifts, what is the maximum number of "steals" that can occur in one game?
Anyway, since I hadn't been planning on going to the party, and it was only rescheduled as of yesterday, I didn't have a chance to go out to buy something, so I didn't play. I would have bought either a darth potato head (I can almost hear dovid scrambling for his wallet to order one right now...) or a big tub of play-doh. There were some silly/funny gifts though. The best in my opinion was the mini arcade frogger game. Some of the funnier ones were the book, "The Google Story," a Google pen, some spanish movie DVD, a singing Scooby Doo doll, and a demotivational calendar.
Work is slow overall right now, but I'm beginning to get more responsibility in my team. I'm working on Windows Desktop Search, which is available as an add-on for windows XP, but it is the built-in search engine in Vista. So right now I'm just working on fixing some bugs, errrr, did I say bugs? I mean there are no bugs in Microsoft products! What I meant to say is that I write pristine bug-free code the first time around, just like everyone at Microsoft. And then I ride my unicorn home. His name is Billy.
Sorry, I blacked out there for a second. So like I said, we're all working on stamping out bugs right now, but in another month or so we're going to start working on planning for next major release. But so far I'm learning a ton and I really like it.
So that's about all from here. Before I conclude, I don't want to start a whole onlysimchas-type thing here, but I just wanted to give a shout out to Sheinfeld for having a baby and to Joseph for getting engaged. Good job guys! Keep up the good work!
Ari
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So glad you are back and blogging again.
I haven't written too much about my job, but since you mentioned not having that much to do at work, let me tell you about my day...I have now been working at Carefirst 3 1/2 weeks. I HAVEN'T DONE ANY WORK YET! I sit all day and do NOTHING. I did find out what my job is supposed to be. Blue Cross has what are called designated billing entities. They do their own billing and some enrollment of members for the agents and brokers they represent. Other agents work with Blue Cross directly, and internal people do those functions. I will be training the DBE's. Which sounds like something I would really like to do. Unfortunately, before I train anyone, I need to be familiar with the programs. Unlike something like Powerpoint, where you can go on and create a dummy presentation to learn the program, I can't mess around in the enrollment program without creating havoc, and they have not given me access to the training drive yet. They have not signed me up for training classes yet, and everyone in my department is so overloaded with work, that I cannot even observe them, because that would slow them down. My whole department has a mandatory half day of work this Saturday, and while the whole company has all day off the 29 (instead of New Year's Eve which is on the weekend), my department has a mandatory half day of work, for which they get double time and a half, and a full day off the first quarter of next year. I have to come in that Friday, even though I will have NOTHING to do, but then I get the free day off next year, so I hope to use it to come to Seattle. I have emailed the training director asking for training, she is on vacation. My manager is not coming back from maternity leave until Jan. 11, and the overall manager requested all the access for me a couple of weeks ago, but everyone is too busy to set it up. I am bored out of my mind. Aren't you glad you asked!
Hope you are having a great Chanuka. I am planning to go in to Chicago for the day, Christmas day, just to see Ruthie and Paulie. The weather here has been pretty warm. It was in the 70's a couple of days this week. Today is down to the 30's, which is about as cold as it gets.
Keep in touch. Post pictures.
MOM
Hey guys,
glad to hear you have your power back adn rachel is feeling somewhat better. Dovid and i just had our first day of vacation and it was great..besides the fact that we have to go to hebrew school (we are thinking tomorrow will be better...no heb school). Dovid is working on a new video for Margo's sister in laws bat mitzva..yes she has a 12 year old sister in law so he is busy. Check out dovs latest creation...
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~dfreedm1/
its his web site for his art class, it has all his videos on it if you have been falling behind. anywho i wanna give a shout out to keren and ira for taking care of our turtles while we will be away - thanks guys
anywho all for now talk to you guys later:-)
Love the demotivational posters. How did you find it? You googled demotivation? failure?...
MOM
Hi Guys, Eileen Here! Been following your blog and love to see the pictures and get the info. Would love to hear from you. Everyone in Fort Wayne is fine and the Kadishes are here visiting and eating (and eating and eating and then eating some more). Sadly, Deborah couldn't make it due to a ruptured ear drum and an inability to fly. Flapping her arms didn't work very well so she had to stay at school. We missed her but managed to eat all the food we had planned for her.
For anyone interested, Shlomo is one of 5 finalists in the GM/Chevy superbowl ad contest and we'll all know very soon if he's won. Grand prize is having your ad televised on the superbowl!
WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU and hope to see you when the baby is born.
Post a Comment