Monday, September 25, 2006

Rosh Hashana and bird poop

Rosh hashana was very nice. First day davening went from 7:45 - 1:15. A bit too long for my taste, so I went to the old folks home on the second day. That one was 8:45 - 12:30. Much better.

We had the first meal with the Rabbi. The second was with a couple who actually went to Penn and knew Keren - John and Dina Kaufthal (I don't know Dina's maiden name, but I think they were both 2-3 years below Keren). Anyway, he works at Microsoft in the building next door to mine. Third meal was next door to the place we were staying and fourth meal was at the Genauers. All the meals were very nice. The food was pretty good overall, but too many raisins and nuts in the food, both things I despise. One place didn't even have any alternative to their raisin-saturated challah! I choked it down as well as I could so I would have enough to bentch. I HATE RAISINS! At one of the meals, almost everything they served had either raisins or nuts. I miss Rachel's cooking! No nuts or raisins to be found.

The guy who I was sharing an office with moved out, so I have my own office now. It's pretty sweet, but now I just need to someone to come decorate it. It really needs like a couch or something. Or maybe some paintings would spruce the place up a bit...

We also had a big milestone this weekend. Our car got pooped on for the first time! stupid birds! arg! First of many, I guess...

In other work-related news, there are big changes coming. Every kitchen on campus is getting brand new fancy Starbucks machines (they're called I-cups. I'll give a prize to the first person who can recall the third grade joke I'm thinking of here). Supposedly, you punch in the size, decaf or regular, etc, and it grinds the beans fresh and brews you a cup right there on the spot! How cool is that?

That's all for now. Once we're settled in our house (!) I'm sure we'll have an easier time putting up pictures... Also our internet access is quite spotty lately. Oh, how I wish poodle would come back!

P.S. great comment dov. Very clever. Keep it up.

Ari

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be amazed at the primative working conditions at Microsoft. How big is your office anyway-you can fit a couch in there?

Haven't people in Seattle heard that you aren't supposed to eat nuts on Rosh Hashana? We had narry a raisin or nut to be seen at Kerens. How are the Genauers?

When are you closing on the house? When do we get to see pictures? When do you move? What are you doing for a succah? How are you adjusting to life in Seattle? Are you finding your way around? I know you have found the 7-11, but there is more to life than Slurpees and Starbucks.

We miss you tons, and love the blog. Keep the news coming.

Anonymous said...

Ari, apparently the 1 cup coffee machines are amazing. Uncle Jeff said that they have that machine in his office and there's nothing like the coffee it makes. We're having a little trouble with our own coffee machine here... we just started using it and we keep burning the coffee! I did a little research and was told that the warming plate underneath the pitcher-thing continues to cook the coffee while it's supposed to be keeping it warm- so now what? Any suggestions?

Nothing else new here in the Heights. We plan on davening in Shenk for Yom Kippur. LOTS of pregnant ladies here; Rachel would fit right in. :) MORE PICS!

Anonymous said...

Hah! I see you pee!!

Anonymous said...

That 3d grader alias was me - I thought I put my name in parens too, but maybe it was too long and got cut off. Anyway - great name for a coffee machine! (what's my prize??!!)

I remember Dina and John, although I can't remember Dina's last name either - please tell them I say hi.

Anonymous said...

Why am I not getting this joke? It must be below my maturity level. In any event, thanks mom for all the good food this weekend, and thanks keren for the food and doing the dishes.

Anonymous said...

How do you spell ICup?

Anonymous said...

Thanks:-)

Inmymind said...

Hey guys! I'm sorry I haven't been up on the blog reading...but I'm all caught up now (I actually have work to do at work...amazing!) Anyway...RACHEL YOU"RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!?! When did you plan to spring this one on me!? I'm excited but sad that I have to be a distant aunt :-( I'll send gifts though :-)

Missing you guys tons!