Saturday, September 30, 2006

Our new house is a raisin-free zone

We were supposed to close on the house on Wednesday and all our stuff was to be delievered on Friday. On Wednesday we got a call that there a problem. Apparently there was a lien on the house that wasn't there when they ran the check a few days earlier. We had no information other than the fact that we couldn't close. We didn't know where the lien came from or when it would be lifted. So we were kind of on pins and needles waiting for 2 days to get news. We had to cancel the delivery of our stuff because we didn't know if we'd be able to move it in by Friday and we didn't want them to charge us for cancelling at the last minute. Finally, late Thursday we heard that they had moved the lien to a different unit to buy them some time to clear it all up, and we'd be able to close on Friday which we did. But it was still too late to move in, so our delivery is coming next Friday instead. We're going to move out of temp housing tomorrow (Sunday). We won't have our beds and linens until the movers deliver our stuff next Friday so we're borrowing air mattresses and linens from someone in the community until then. Fortunately, I was able to get the cable company to come tomorrow to install our cable internet so we will have a more reliable connection and we will not have to be without our internet fix...

So for shabbos we were put up again, and ate out meals. First meal was with another Microsoft family and the second was by people we met last week. For the second meal they had only raisin challah (again). Let me make this clear one more time: I HATE RAISINS! I think we are going to start telling people we eat by that I'm allergic to raisins. Next Rosh Hashana I'm going to daven for a raisin-free year. Why do people think that everyone likes those squishy gross little booger-like things in their challah? Can someone answer me that question? Would it be rude of me to ask for normal non-squishy-thing-infested challah? Is this a question for miss manners?

Other than the raisiny challah the meal was really good - lots of good food and LOTS of booze. But the more people I eat out by, the more I'm coming to realize how different our family is. At many or most of the places I've eaten by, the entire meal is like one salad course, 2 side dishes and one main, usually one piece of chicken per person. With our family, our meals are 2-3 times that size, so I'm really not used to it. Also, sadly, the best cholent I've had so far was at the kiddush at the shul. And that was by no means a great cholent. Everyone puts in too many beans, no kishke, not enough barley, and not enough seasoning. They're like bad shul cholents. Bland and beany. I can't wait to make my own again and show these people how it's done.

That is the news from here. Have a gmar v'chasima tova everyone!
Ari

P.S. Our new address is
7322 Rainier Ave S #108
Seattle, WA 98118

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see that you are going to singlehandedly revolutionize life in Seattle. No raisins, Polsky style 10 course meals, and bean free (or at least low bean) cholent. Don't want to make you jealous, but I have not seen one single raisin this whole yom tov.

It seems like you are meeting lots of people. That's the advantage of moving to a small community. How are you enjoying the community? Are people friendly? Are you meeting people that you think you will be friends with?

We are thinking of you, and missing you a lot, but the blog helps us feel connected. I hope to speak to you today, but otherwise, to you and to all those who are reading this blog, I wish a g'mar chasima tova, and a happy healthy and prosperous year.

MOM

Anonymous said...

You (raisin-free) ideas are intriguing to me. . . I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'll give you a similar prize to the one you gave me if you know what episode that's from!

Anonymous said...

And now that I'm getting news directly from the source, I'm looking forward to smaller phone bills and shorter phone calls because they all don't have to start with, "Didn't you read it on our blog?"

We had a great time in Mpls for RH. I mentioned to Label K that you were in Seattle because that's where he's from. He said he still talks to a boyhood friend every week and would tell him to be on the lookout for you. It shouldn't be hard to find his friend, how many guys can they have who went to HTC in the 40's?

About the Succah - Ari, you can probably use 2x2's to span the fence. They are easier to handle and should be cheaper - but as residents of the Pacific Northwest, wood boards are probably very cheap anyway - do they still have logs floating down the river to the sawmills downtown (if you weren't so young you might remember the TV Show "Here Come the Brides" about Seattle)? Maybe you should do a new show, "Here Comes the Blogs" about the geeks of Microsoft - it would be a big hit among the gamers, but probably too realistic!

G'mar chasima tova to all, and wishing you a meaningful fast.

P.S. We need more pic's.

Anonymous said...

two sidedishes? that's alot for the avner household nowadays

Anonymous said...

My dad once tried to make home-made raisins with old grapes. He put them under the broiler.

They didn't taste very good.

Anonymous said...

gmar chasima tova to all:-) have an easy fast and hopefully mashiach will come before dovids LSAT on tuesday

will we need lawyers in the time of mashiach?

Anonymous said...

No raisins, nuts, or beans at the Teaneck Avners either. Jeff agrees with you on all counts.
He still hasn't figured out how the Gematria of Chait is the same as egos, but since Jeff really doesn't like nuts anyway, it's a good minhag to follow!
Jeff doesn't have Icup, but he does have a POD coffee maker, which also brews tea. What will they think up next.
Ari, keep up the "hard" work. We should all have jobs so taxing.
Jeff actually has a TV in his office, no couch though.

Okay, so now that Seth has been in Israel 1 month, besides the broken finger, he has a gash on his upper lip(which happened because he was too tired to get out of bed and change, so he threw his clothes to his cubby and something fell down and hit his mouth), nose bleeds and fever. I'm afraid to have him there any longer.

Rachel, when are going to hear from you? Good luck with the move and the unpacking. I'm sure you can't wait to be settled already.

The Teaneck Avners

Anonymous said...

So has your week been, living on air mattresses and all? Obviously, you have been quite busy cuz you haven't posted in a while. Did your succah/patio work out? We have been having great weather all week, but it has just started to rain and they think it will continue all weekend - doh!

We are now all sick (the 3 girls with colds and Ira still battling CMV) and getting ready to host 8 guests for the weekend. It is a good thing we got invited out both lunches and Mom is bringing some food - otherwise I don't know how I would have cooked 4 meals for 11+ people!

Avi had her 9 month checkup yesterday - tipped the scales at 20 pounds!!

Can't think of any other news right now - too tired. Later, gators.