Okay, after a week of begging and prodding by Rachel (both figurative and literal) I'm finally ready to blog. Let's start with a recap of last week's visit by Abba, Pat, Cham and Dov. Pat was on the same flight with Cham and Dov since she went to SanFran for business, and Abba was supposed to get in about an hour later but his flight was delayed. So I picked them up from the airport and took them out to dinner. I use the term "took out" loosely, since all I did was drive - Pat actually paid (thanks Pat!). As I've mentioned here before, there are no normal kosher restaurants in Seattle. So we went to the vegetarian Indian place (their motto: at least it's not vegan!). Dovid asked the waitress what the closest thing to pizza was and pat asked what the closest thing to vegetables was. They didn't have anything remotely close to either one. But as I had already discovered the best thing on the menu last time I was there I had no problems. Although by the time I had tasted everyone else's food I came to the conclusion that all the food there is the same - cubes of "cheese" that would be more accurately described as "scotch brite sponge chunks" with some vegetables in some kind of red sauce that tastes like Devon Ave smells, served with rice. Which is still better than the slime balls we had at the vegan chinese place.
On to shabbos: Rachel made this chicken in rice thing from the Yeshiva cookbook that was really good. The trick is that you cook the chicken on top of the rice so that all the fat that drips out of the chicken that normally looks so gross in the pan soaks into the rice, more or less deep-frying it. YUM! Abba, as usual, fedexed us a prime rib. He overnighted it the Thursday a week before they came so we wouldn't have any doubts about it arriving in time to cook it for shabbos. Unfortunately, that was the week of the snow storm here so fedex was unable to deliver it on time. We got it Monday. We thought that all hope was lost, but it was still cold, albeit thawed, and didn't smell bad. The other meat in the package also looked okay. So we decided to eat it. It ended up being fine - at least so far we haven't had any adverse effects. And even if we had gotten sick it probably would still have been worth it because it was soooooo good! Thanks Abba!
On Saturday night we were debating going to the indian casino that's near here, but it's like an hour away and we couldn't really get our act together in time. Also I was a wet blanket (big surprise, right?). So we ended up going to Albertson's and buying some frozen pizzas, which is what you do when you live in a lame city that has no kosher pizza places. And we took out the deep fryer and made some spicy curly fries, thanks to the curly fry maker that mom got us - it actually worked really well. Thanks Mom! I think it's safe to say that the theme of the weekend was ingesting unhealthy quantities of fat and oil (not to mention cheese sponges).
On Sunday Abba and Pat left early and the rest of us sat around all day like a bunch of big fat blobs. Our only adventure was trying to hook up the cable from our internet to my TV tuner card in the computer to try and watch the Bears game (go Bears!), but for some reason it didn't work. We did go to my neighbor's place to watch the last few minutes on his 9 inch TV. We may end up doing the same thing for the super bowl unless we get invited to a real super bowl party. If we stay home we hope to continue the tradition of making BLTs using fried pastrami as a substitute for the real B, and fresh onion rings and french fries. I love having a deep fryer! Angioplasty, anyone?
Outside of the family visiting not much else has been happening here lately. We had our first non-family shabbos guest this week and rachel made pumpkin pie because we had 3 giant cans of pumpkin filling (1/2 a can down, 2.5 to go!). Let this be a lesson for you all: don't do your impulse shopping at Costco.
The big work-related news is the Vista/Office 2007 public release this week. All the real partying will be happening in NY but we are having satellite video feeds in some of he cafeterias. After the speeches they will be dropping hundreds of balloons in the places with the video feeds, and some of them will have tickets for prizes in them! Laptops, Zunes, Xbox 360's... Wish me luck! If anyone wants my employee discount on Vista or Office let me know (Mom and Abba are already on my list).
But it has been otherwise quiet around here. I guess that will come to an abrupt end soon so we are trying to enjoy the tranquility. But in the meantime that is all the news from the Pacific Northwest. Hope to see you all soon!
Ari
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I must say, Ari, when you do blog it is worth waiting for. I don't know how you can survive a town with such slim pickings in the food department.
Just got back yesterday morning from Rachel Wiz's (now Fischer's) wedding. It was amazing. See pix on only simchas. I couldn't sleep Sunday night, so I left for home at 4:20 am. It was snowy and icy, and the driving was scary in the dark. Saw a couple of really bad accidents, but made it home B"H OK. It was great seeing everyone. Julie and Josh, Shira, Aliza, Zivya, and all the old high school gang. Everyone looked great. (especially Chammie) The food was really good. Rachel was beatiful, as I expected, and radiant as well.
Can't wait for the next big (and it seems like it will be really BIG) event. Is the doc giving you any clue as to how big she thinks the baby will be? It is kind of funny that all of our family is assuming it is a boy, and when I talked to Julie, she said her side thinks it is a girl. I do not believe you are keeping this secret.
I do want office '07, so please let me know how much I owe you, and send it as soon as it is available. I do not like that freebie you got me. There are lots of differences that are annoying.
Things are getting crazy at work, now that my manager is back. I did not get off to a very good start with her, but hopefully things will smooth out. She is very type A, and caught me reading a book and talking on my cell phone. Well what did she think I have been doing for 2 months, with absolutely nothing to do. Anyway, do not call me on my cell phone at work, as that is a "reportable offense" My office # is 443-738-7877. Of course personal calls are limited to 2 per day, 5 minutes each, so use that number sparingly. I think that says it all.
Talk to you guys soon,
Love,
MOM
Wow... Sounds like you're working in the gulag. If talking on your cell phone is a reportable offense what would playing Xbox at work be?
Hey guys! Rach's wedding was great! I think I spent the entire night last night looking at the million and one pictures from everyone. Good to see mom and abba and pat at the big shindig. Thats all for now:-)
If you people don't start commenting more I'm going on strike. I'll get a giant iniflatable rat like they have in NY. Don't tempt me...
I think a big inflatable rat might scare the baby. How about a big inflatable stay puft marshmallow man instead?
I'm holding up my end here. Why punish me for the actions of the other slackers out there? Just remember, this gets you off the hook for calling me more than once a week. You were the one who moved three time zones away. (I know you are immune to guilt, but I have to try, it is in my genes.)
Post a Comment