Lots of new stuff going on here! I wanted to post before things got too crazy this weekend with Abba and Pat coming and us getting the house ready for their visit.
First of all, our new couch and chair are coming on Friday, just in time for the visit, which is good because we were told 8-10 weeks. But since we didn't have room for our old couch anymore we had to get rid of it, which we thought was a shame since we got it for free and it was pretty comfortable - a perfect basement couch for the day when we actually have a basement. So on Sunday I got the only single guy I know here to help me, and I rented a U-Haul and brought it to my office. So now I have a place to nap there! It ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. The rental is only $20 but at 79 cents a mile it adds up. And you would never guess how much gas I used (you have to refill it before returning it or pay a $40 refueling fee, plus $4 a gallon! They REALLY want to discourage you from bringing it back not full). The drive to work is probably about 18 miles, so both ways was somewhere between 35 and 40 miles. So how many gallons of gas do you think a 14-foot U-Haul would use up? I figured it would be no more than 3 or 4 gallons. Well, I put in almost 9 gallons! How insane is that? So the whole adventure cost more than I expected, but it was still worth it to be able to keep the couch, especially considering that the movers who bring the new one would probably charge us ~$30 just to haul it away.
On to Monday: Rachel and I had been planning on going out to dinner for my birthday, but we decided to go Monday instead because she got off work early. So she picked me up from work and we went to one of (not many cities require that qualifier here) the kosher vegetarian chinese places, which is about 5 minutes away from work. It looked pretty interesting, and people say it's good. They have a pretty large menu, so initially I had a hard time choosing, but I figured I'd get the best value by choosing a combo meal, of which they only had about 5. It was soup, side and main for like 13-16 bucks. Anyway, I chose the basil "beef" and rachel got the sweet and sour "pork." When mine came I knew I made a big mistake the second I smelled it... One whiff and I knew it contained my most feared food - even more than raisins! - the dreaded fennel. It was that overpowering black jellybean smell. I thought I was going to vomit, and I certainly knew I couldn't eat it. So Rachel and I switched and I ate the sweet and sour pork, which is not the kind of think I would normally get since I don't really like sweet entrees. So neither of us particularly got what we wanted, but the food at least looked good.. and looking back at the menu there were definitely other things that I think I would have liked. And the sweet and sour pork was not bad, it just wouldn't have been my first choice. Anyway, the bottom line is that we can't really judge based on the experience we had there and we will have to try it again sometime. I think on Saturday night we will all go to the other veg chinese place that's closer to our house and I will make a better decision. The most disappointing thing for me was not the meal itself - it was the fact that I did not live up to my (well earned) reputation for ordering the best thing on the menu. It was that whole "combo is the best value" line of thinking that really messed me up. I will not be falling for that one again soon. Also I'm really not used to ordering vegetarian food. I think with real beef things are much more straightforward. But I guess the lesson here is to just get back on that horse - there will be other meals to be had...
So then on the way home there was a certain point where we had to choose a route. I wanted to go one way and as the driver I chose it. Rachel thought the other way was faster. I told her I thought we could be home in another ten minutes on the route I had chosen, and she did not believe me. So, being the stupid typical guy that I am, I was speeding, weaving and trying my hardest to get us home in ten minutes. We were going to make it, when literally 2 blocks away from our house I got pulled over for speeding. The cop is like, "do you know what a police car looks like?" Apparently, at the last red light I was pulled up right next to him and when it turned green I peeled out at about 50 in a 25 zone. Not smart, but I was distracted talking to rachel and feeling good about being right. Anyway, thank G-d I still have an Illinois license, so he asked how long ago I had move out here, so I told him and he let me go with a warning, although he also told me that I have 90 days from becoming a resident to get a Washington license. Is it like that in every state? Why can't I drive on a valid Illinois license until it dies (or expires) a natural death and continue to get off scott-free for speeding because I'm just a dopey out of towner who doesn't know all those fancy "traffic laws" you people have out here? Guess I answered my own question there, but I still think I should be allowed to. But even with the stop we got home only 14 minutes later than when I said It'd be 10 minutes! (I guess some lessons are better left unlearned)
And my final piece of news is that I'm announcing a new contest here on the blog. We are going to have a contest to name Chammie and Dovid's turtles! Right now they are just called "turtle'eem," which I think is just not right. They should have their own names so they can express their individuality. I know you all must be brimming over with excitement, trying to think of clever names like "winky and blinky" (Itchy and Scratchy is already taken by our late newts, may their memory be a blessing. Besides, it's not original). Anyway, submit your entries in the comments section, and someone (TBD) will decide which are the best. The prize will be in a similar vein to prizes for previous contests here (i.e. nothing), but think of the respect of your peers! The years (or however long turtles live) of gloating! The prestige! I hope I'm motivating you here. So good luck to all of you! By the way, nobody knows the gender(s) of turtle'eem, so try and pick something neutral, like pickles and yum yum. Or something... Anyway, if Cham or Dov sends me pictures I will post them so you can try to pick a name that really captures their essence - something that says, "I was purchased from a bucket in chinatown. Please don't make soup out of me."
So that is the news from here. Will be busy the next few days with Abba and Pat's visit. PRIME RIB! Almost makes me forget about the (shudder) fennel...
Ari
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I am stunned that you have not one but 2 kosher vegetarian Chinese restaurants. Why would you even want one? Based on the fact that you chose that restaurant for your big dinner, leads me to believe there aren't very many more choices. Strange city you live in.
You guys don't have a basement?
As for the driver's license, you only have 30 days in Maryland, or there is a BIG financial penalty. Which brings up another topic. Did you register to vote in Seattle. I know that when you live in a city with 2 kosher vegetarian Chinese restaurants, the liklihood that your vote will count for anything is remote, but you should make an effort. Are you the only Republicans in town?
Based on your past history of contests, I will sit this one out. You have a lot to learn about promotion. Anyway, based on our past history with pets, they usually do not live long enough to justify naming. If they are still alive after winter break, let me know.
Everybody's fancy menus are intimidating me. I'm making chicken soup with alphabet noodles (the kids love 'em), some kind of chicken-maybe with that lemon pepper marinade, some kind of mini roast with teriyaki sauce (it comes out of a bottle) fresh green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, Israeli salad, that sweet and sour shredded cabbage salad with the almond slivers and chow mein noodles, and baked apples and cookies for dessert. Devorah has been going to Weight Watchers, and she has been making these very creative (to put it kindly) Weight Watchers cakes. The first one was made with a chocolate cake mix (no eggs or oil), a can of sugar free cherry pie filling and red pop. The second one was a box of yellow cake mix, and a can of crushed pineapple. I think this week she is making an angel food cake mix with crushed pineapple. That makes the fennel and fake meat sound good, doesn't it? A word to the wise, don't try this at home!
Anyway, it is about 4:45. Didn't get much sleep last night. I have to call the Carefirst lady today. Wish me luck. I'll post later.
MOM
By the way Ari, just a word of advice. When in a Chinese restaurant, never order anything with basil. It is not a Chinese seasoning. They do not know how to use it. Yitzi ordered something here with basil in a Chinese restaurant, and it was also bad. Improper use of basil can contribute to that black licorice flavor.
Yesteryear Ok mom...we didn’t name them in the first place because we didn’t think they would make it...but NOW they have it the best it will ever be! we got them a heat lamp and a filter! if they could survive under the less than desirable conditions of yesteryear they will undoubtedly survive now (im yirtze Hashem)
Ari- I also stopped at the part of the story where you DIDNT ORDER THE BEST THING! i was really shocked, but i guess when ordering in a place that you is so foreign to you it is to be expected. you will have lots of time in Seattle to figure out how to order at these anti meat institutions.
mom-- good luck
Thanks for finally posting again, Ari. I laughed out loud! (I didn't cry though - not even at the part where you didn't order the best thing, although that was certainly sad). Dovid was probably waiting on pins and needles for a new post - he doesn't like reading our comments because he thinks they are "boring." I don't know why he would say that - he doesn't find talk of car seats, shabbos menus, and who is coming over when to drop off or pick up a trife bowl fascinating?
By the way, I made the carrot/sweet potato muffins this morning and they came out good. I can barely tell the difference.
Mom - good luck - I am thinking it must be good news - they usually don't call with a rejection - it comes in a form letter. Keep us posted!!
How about Ippy and Dippy? (anyone know where this is from? assuming I got the names right, which I think I did)
ok just so you all know this comment is about the stream of consciousness from the last posting but i figure if i put it there nobody will see it...
Julie- I was laughing out loud when you wrote about the lemon cake...dovid HATES it, anyway i have a good recipe from my dad if you decide to go against the grain. I also have a recipe for "lemon curd" to put between the layers that is soooo good (again dovid hates this)
Yes, we have made deli roll with kishke in it, and yes it is dovids favorite food. i am not the biggest kishke fan so i cant judge, but dovid likes it, usually half of the deli roll has kishke in it and the other half has mashed potatoes (thats my side)
also there is a really good potato kugel recipe in the kosher by design cookbook- making that this shab
p.s. can anyone challenge Keren with her Ippy and Dippy? and i have no clue where thats from.
Mom - No, we don't have a basement. The basement of our building is the parking garage. And I am embarrassed to say that I did not register to vote, although Rachel did when she got her WA license. She brought the forms for me but I was too lazy to do it by the deadline. Not that anything here will be competitive anyway, but I still feel guilty.
Also, I forgot to mention that not only is the chinese place vegetarian, it is also vegan, which means none of the food has eggs either.
Keren - Ippy and Dippy? That's so lame! The other turtles would beat them up with names like that, and rightly so. I'm not sure what it's from but I do remember Impy and Chimpy from somewhere or other. How about Crusher and Lowblow ("I hope Crusher and Lowblow didn't hurt you ... the telephone is so impersonal, I prefer the hands-on touch you only get with hired goons")?
Ari, I don't think turtles are violent (teenage mutant ninja varieties notwithstanding). Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, Cham and Dov, I don't think the turtle'eem are getting out and about among other turtle'eem so I don't think we need to worry about their social standing.
By the way, I GOT THE JOB! I gave Bernie 2 weeks notice, and told Carefirst I would start November 27. That gives me Thanksgiving week off to get misc stuff done. I still have to get the paperwork to formally accept, but I am really excited and relieved.
Can't wait to get out of this hellhole!
YAY MOM!
Aunt Connie, I think I'm going to try that lemon cake that you put in my recipe book.
And as for turtle names, Josh and I decided that since the turtles came from Chinatown, they should have Chinese names. We're going with Minh and Xu.
Ari,
Uncle Jeff and I had a similar experience to you. We were recently married and moved to Philadelphia, didn't chance our licensee yet.
We were driving along, Jeff was driving and I was yelling at Jeff about something (I'm sure i was right about whatever it was).
We were stopped at a red light and we both jumped when there was a knock on Jeff's window. It was an officer who looked pretty perturbed. He asked why we never stopped for him, didn't we hear the sirens, for the past 3 blocks? I sheepishly looked at him and said we couldn't hear the siren because i was busy yelling at Jeff, and we didn't see the stop sign because we are new to the area and did know it was there. I think because it was a sympathetic man to another, he just gave us a warning, told us to learn the area and get a PA licensee.
Congratulations to your mom on the new job!
Post a Comment