Thursday, November 02, 2006

GO MOM!

Congrats to Mom to finally getting out of Bernie's office into a saner workplace that gives benefits! Your knees will thank you.

As for us here in Seattle, we are preparing for Abba and Patty's long awaited visit. They have the zechut of being our first guest and we are very excited! (Of course, they ARE bringing a prime rib which only makes me and RB more excited.) Since I am working all day tom, I need to do most of my cooking tonight- since we are all swapping menus I will tell you what I am planning:

Challah
Minestrone Soup
Asparagus
Salt and Pepper Kugel
Edamame
Portobello Mushrooms and Zucchini
Apple Dumpling Cake

I hope it all comes out well. Of course, now that Ari works from home on Friday there is a big chance that by tom afternoon all the food could be gone. Mental note to self- must add fridge lock to the shopping list.

As much as Ari eats, recently I have been out eating him! Who would have thought? RB definitely has some Polsky genes in there. I am eating like there is no tomorrow and I am always hungry. Ari's shepping nachas already. I dragged him to a Babies R Us to start checking out car seats and he was freaking out. He needed to prepare himself for the major hurdle of walking into a baby store. Of course, once there, he checked out a glider and made himself comfortable so it wasn't too painful for him.

RB is really low down - I look like a football and my back hurts all the time. Conveniently, every teacher at my school has a million kids so I am getting plenty of tips to deal with the pain. I must run to my afternoon job.

In case I do not post/edit later- Have a good Shabbos everyone!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel i heard you saw Mrs Ashkenazy's sister! she screamed it out during class "LEAH MY SISTER MET YOUR SISTER!"

Anonymous said...

I cannot picture Ari in Babies R Us, oohing and aahing over little stretchies.

I don't know if I am more excited about the job, or about leaving my current job. The benefits in the new job are really good. I get 3 weeks paid vacation, and 10.5 paid holidays. I don't know what the holidays are, I could only come up with 6!

Sorry about your back, Rachel. I have no good solutions, but I have a generous supply of sympathy. Are there any exercises you can do to strengthen your back muscles? How about a theraputic massage? I know there are people who specialize in pregnancy massages. Maybe that would help. At least it would feel good temporarily. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Would some type of support garment help? I hope you get some relief soon, but in the meantime, Ari should take over as much of the housework as possible.

I am still waiting for details about the Apple Dumpling Cake.

Have a great shabbos everyone.

MOM

Anonymous said...

Here's my guess (ooh, another contest!):

1. New Years
2. MLK Day
3. Presidents Day
4. Memorial Day
5. Independence Day
6. Labor Day
7. Thanksgiving
8. Day after Thanksgiving
9. Christmas
9.5 1/2 day before New Years
10 1/2 day before Thanksgiving
10.5 1/2 day before Christmas

Anonymous said...

Have a good Shabbos, all!
Ari and Rachel - Enjoy your visit with Abba and Pat, and enjoy the prime rib!
Rachel - hope you are sleeping with lots of pillows - I used to have one under/behind my back, one for my belly, and one between my knees!
As for Babies R Us shopping and all that - let me know if you have any questions about paraphernalia. Also, get "Baby Bargains," by Denise and Alan Fields - they run down all the products and tell you which are the best values, and what are the features to look for, where to shop, etc. It is a really helpful book - just make sure to get the latest version because products change so often.

Anonymous said...

1. MLK day
2. President's day
3. Memorial day
4. July 4
5. Labor day
6. Thanksgiving
7. day after Thanksgiving
8. Christmas day
9. Day after Christmas
10. New Year's day
10 1/2. Half day new year's eve

Anonymous said...

Well, shabbos was nice. we had a great meal and a good time was had by all (i think)
Tonight the Feifel family is coming to visit (they are really visiting zivyas cousins who live in our building). No other real news, somme friends came over today to sit around...the turtles were a big hit...dov took some video of them tonight
Tomorrow is "professional day" at hebrew school which means I can get there later (plus no kids! hooray)
Anywho thats all

therapydoc said...

Way to go, M.J.! We knew you had it in the bag, the only thing we worried about was the background check thing. When they called, I want you to know, I said nothing.



kidding, right? okay?

Anonymous said...

Not to renew a discussion from a couple of posts ago, but how about Frisket and Thrip (for the turtle'eem)?

We had a very nice, if chaotic shabbos. Friday night we ate out at a family on our block and they had one other family over -in all, there were 9 kids between the ages of 10 mos, and maybe 8. Avigayil was overtired, so I spent a significant part of the time holding her, or looking over at where she was playing to make sure she wasn't putting any choking hazards in her mouth, and wasn't getting stepped on. I ended up leaving a bit early to put her to sleep, and Ira stayed with Sarah.

Lunch we had here, and there were 8 kids. However, it was much more relaxed - I think because in our case, the kids were playing several rooms away instead of right in the next room. Also, Avi slept for part of the meal, and when she was awake, she actually played in the playroom nicely with all the other kids - I don't even think she got stepped on (too much). The food was excellent (if I do say so myself!). At the last minute I had to get a pesto recipe off the internet because the one I was going to use had cream in it, and I didn't really want to go there - it turned out really well. I think I'm going to start making pesto more often. The food generally was a bit hit. Exept that the husbands in both families we invited are apparently super picky eaters, so they ate virtually nothing. One of them would put Zivya to shame. (I think his diet consists of plain macaroni, blintzes, challah and carrot kugel- I got lucky making those carrot muffins!) Anyway, the result is that we have a lot of leftovers!! Everyone had a great time- they didn't leave until about an hour before Shabbos was over! When the left, one boy Sarah's age went to say thank you to Sarah, and she said "Thank you for coming!" Is that great or what?

Next weekend Joseph's girlfriend's parents are coming down Saturday night to have dinner with Ira's parents (we're going to crash too) on Sunday night. We have heard some hints from JoJo that there might be an engagement next weekend, but we have also heard that it won't be for several weeks, so he might be trying to throw us off the trail. We're really getting very excited (except Ira now has to make good on his promise to buy JoJo an expensive bottle of Scotch - anyone have any suggestions? I think he doesn't like "smoky")

Ari and Rach - Update us your first Shabbos with visitors - how was it?

Anonymous said...

Abba and Pat - didn't mean to leave you out - feel free to post your version of the weekend too!

By the way, how come I have seen some posts deleted, but I don't see any way to do that (or to edit a post)? Is that something that only the blog hosts can do?

Anonymous said...

There's always Royal Salute. That has worked for us in the past. How much is he willing to spend? I don't like smokey either. Save a shot for me.

Shabbos here was very nice. I think the food was good, although plain-I don't do fancy. The baked apples were a surprisingly big hit with the kids. I have been experimenting with a frozen yeast dough, and my old famous cinnamon and chocolate sweet rolls, but the dough is not as good as the Rhodes dough was. They are not as fluffy. I defrosted the dough, and then left it out all night to rise, and it barely budged. Still a work in progress. I am getting sick of all the old recipes, I need some new ones.

There was a message on my answering machine after shabbos from the human resource person, telling me they are putting an employment agreement in the mail to me. She said they have worked out the shabbos thing, so that is a relief. I really didn't think it would be a problem, but, of course, when I mentioned it there was that little bit of panic that they would suddenly forget that they had made me an offer.

I do not quite understand what is going on with Bernie, not that it is my problem, but I thought when I gave notice, he would ask me to explain all the computer systems to Miriam. There are several that she has never used or accessed, and they are somewhat complex. I know he will not get someone else in before I leave, so someone should know what is going on. It isn't my problem, and I don't really care, but I am baffled nonetheless. The only thing I can think of is that he thinks I am bluffing. I actually gave notice on a Thursday, so I figured the two weeks will be up Thursday. Wednesday I need to take off to do some continuing ed for my license, and now I am thinking, since I have a vacation day coming, I should take that Wednesday, Tuesday will be my last day. I am really getting excited. 7 more working days left. I don't know how I lasted this long.

MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi peeps. Shabbos here was nice. Diana ended up coming over with Yoni and Leah Chana, so the meal ended up being very lively. The food was pretty good too, except for the fact that I kind of burned the deli roll on the bottom- but it was finished anyway!

Rachel, I hope the Apple Dumpling Cake came out alright. Oh- for those of you who were asking about it, the cake is a recipe from a good friend of the family in Chicago. My mom got it from her years ago, and made it a few times. For some reason, I used that recipe all the time when I had to cook for the family, and Rachel really liked it. It's just a yeast dough that you roll out into a really big circle, and then put the apple filling in the center. Then, you fold up the dough on top of the apples. The whole thing goes into a pie plate. It's delicious. So, did the dough work out in the end?

Josh and I are looking forward to going to Baltimore in the end of November for the Silverberg wedding, but we have no idea how to get there? Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

The apple dumpling cake sounds great. How about a recipe? As for getting to Baltimore, give me a call. I'll be happy to give you all the options. Do NOT call Rachel. She seems to think there is nothing wrong with the Chinese bus. It's cheap. It lets you off in a really terrible neighborhood, and doesn't pick you up on the way home.

How long are you staying in Baltimore? You are more than welcome to stay here. I hope we get to see you. When and where is the wedding? Looking forward to seeing you.

MOM

Anonymous said...

The turtleeme's first webisode premiered today! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trv93OJ0tXo

Anonymous said...

Watched the turtleeme. Such nachas! Are they male of female?

Anonymous said...

We’re still not sure. I have been trying to figure it out but it's hard to tell. Apparently the earliest you can tell the sex is at 7 months, so they very well may not be showing any differences yet.

Anonymous said...

Dov - Next time you say you aren't coming over to watch Lost (or whatever) because you are too busy doing "work," I'll know better.

Anonymous said...

I saw Chaya Dachs yesterday. We are both excited about the upcoming Avner visit. Give us the details when you get them. Anyone who has not made other arrangements yet is welcome to stay here. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Miriam

Anonymous said...

Well, one mystery has been cleared up. I could not figure out why Bernie was not panicing and insisting that I teach Miriam even how to access the life insurance programs. Bernie used to be partners with a guy named Howard, who has an office in our complex. Howard's assistant is Marcia, who has been with him for 23 years. Last year, Howard cut Marcia's hours to half time. She needs to work full time, and she approached Bernie last year to see if he needed additional help in the afternoons. Bernie would not hire her, because he didn't want to start up with Howard, and also, because she really doesn't have the computer skills. (She gave Miriam's name as a reference on a different job, and Miriam gave her a really lukewarm reference, even though they are supposed to be great friends.) Well, Marcia got a full time offer in a dentist's office last week, and she told Howard. I think Howard asked Bernie to offer Marcia part time, just so he could keep her. Bernie offered Marcia a job. Today, Marcia told me she was going to tell both Howard and Bernie "no", mostly because she could not bear the thought of working for Bernie. Now it will get really interesting. I sent Bernie an email today, asking him if he wanted my last day to be Tuesday or Thursday. (I have to do some continuing ed on Wednesday). I know he read the email, because it shows up on my Outlook, but he didn't respond.

I called Andra this morning, just to say hi, and tell her I quit. Well, she is out of work, and she stopped by the office today, and told me privately that I should see if Bernie wants her to come in in the interim until he hires someone permanent. He would have to be really really desperate to hire her, even temporarily, but you never know. At least she is trained.

Watch this space for further developments.

MOM

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I had never even heard of Bernie and the horrors of working for him before this blog(why is it horrible working for him anyway?), but you definitely have my attention now!
Oh and for the apple pie recipe, only Rachel has it. Rachel, can you post it for all of us? I'd like it too. :)

Anonymous said...

Julie, you don't even want to get me started about Bernie, but I'll give you a snapshot. He goes ballistic if I make an extra page of a photocopy, because I wasted a piece of paper (and the home office gives him the paper for free!) Last week he got upset at me because HE did not do something he was supposed to do, even though he admitted that he knew I had reminded him at least a dozen times, and I left the paperwork in a pile of urgent matters he is supposed to go through every day. He said I should have forced him to do it. He is very disorganized. There are papers not only all over his desk, but the floor as well. Clients yell at me all the time because he does not return phone calls, and they think I have not given him the message. He is a really creative storyteller (in other words he lies when it suits him) His wife Miriam works in the office also, and he publicly berates here constantly. He counts the minutes I work, and gets upset if he thinks I have wasted a minute. I get maybe one personal call a month, my friends and family know not to call me at work, but on those rare occasions, he goes nuts. He has told his own wife that the kids are not allowed to call her in the office. I could go on, but what's the use. I will be very happy to be out of there. Aren't you sorry you asked?

Miriam

Anonymous said...

We just booked our tickets to BWI so it's official we are coming. Wendy's made arrangments, I think to stay with her cousins.

She's coming in on Wednesady and Leah and I are coming in on Thursday. We all fly back to Chicago on Sunday evening.

I don't get the proposed turtle names. Aren't all turtles named things like "speedy" and "flash"?

What did the snail say when he hitched a ride on the back of a turtle?

"Weeeeee".

And to Miriam: Welcome to the Blues. What department are you in?

Anonymous said...

Broker admin training.

Anonymous said...

MIRIAM,
Sounds like a saga there, you are lucky to be getting out, I don't know how you can stand to work in that environment, it would make me nuts. It's nice to have a job where I can call who I want, and go on the internet.
I pretty much don't answer to anyone because I'm the only one in the school with this position.
Good luck on the new job?

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie:

I hear you want to stay here for the wedding. I'd love to have you. Depending on when you want to come in, you should probably take the Superior Tours bus from Manhattan. It leaves every day from midtown, around 5:30. It that is not convenient, you might want to look at taking the train. The bus leaves you off in our neighborhood, the train lets you off downtown. The only other alternative is to rent a car, which is probably not so simple, but may be about the same cost. Call me if you need more info, 410-358-6134.

Anonymous said...

Is Bernie clueless or what?

I sent him an email telling him that I need to do a day of continuing education next Wednesday, so while Wednesday would normally be my last day, I have a vacation day coming, but if he wants I would come in Thursday, and that would be my last day. Here was his response:

Due to the difficult circimstances in which I find myself (his brother-in-law is very sick), not knowing what will be with Miriam's brother, I cannot afford to have you off on Wednesday with possibly noone in the office. Additionally, as you are aware, this is a very busy season and requires someone to be available in the office for problems.

Please give me a schedule of your time taken off that has not been made up... there were days that you wanted to make up that were not good for me, but we never discussed it since. Also, where is your schedule that shows me remaining vacation days.

I sent him back the following message:

Bernie, while I am sympathetic to your problem, as you are aware, Wednesday should actually be my last day, so whether I take off Wednesday or not will not solve your overall staffing problem. I have offered to come in on Thursday, and make that my last day. The continuing education class that I have signed up for is only available once a month, and therefore this is the only week I can take it. I sent you an email about it several weeks ago, and you did not respond.

The only time I took off that was not made up (although I have worked through lunch for the past several weeks) was the day I left at 3:30. I have 1 1/2 days off left, so I certainly am covered for that hour and a half.

I was not aware that you wanted documentation of my vacation days. I hav been keeping a running tally, and assumed that you were as well. I would have to go back and reconstruct it if you do not have that information, although I am not sure I could remember with 100% accuracy what days I took off a year ago.

Would you say he is slightly delusional???

Anonymous said...

ok all i can see is thank the lord you are outa that place... sheesh! also-- i hear you are coming to town! hooray! zivya is coming for shabbos...we will walk over shab afternoon to say hello.
see you ma!

cham

Anonymous said...

Hi Ari and Rachel;

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't post soon, we are going to revolt and get our own blog!

Love you,

MOM